The Complete Guide To Semi-Permanent Tattoo/Make Up
OH MY GOD... I DID IT.
I GOT MY EYEBROWS TATTOOED.
I had the image of that somewhat older woman with lip liner too red, eyebrows too black (or green!) or the eyeliner that looks like a Sharpie attacked. But then... then I saw Natasha. She is this gorgeous chic 20-something that attends a breakfast with me weekly and I noticed her eyebrows were always. on. point. So I commented and she told me about Sissy, the owner of Pretty In Ink.
Like any journalist (fashionista?) I immediately jumped on all forms of social media: Instagram @808prettyinink and Facebook and looked at the gorgeous girls with the eyebrows on fleek. In a world of well groomed eyebrows my ass couldn't even fill mine in. I didn't have that gene - so while my 20 shades of smokey eye rocked the world, my brows were thin and sad and ... thin (gasp!).
I made an appointment and here is how it went down:
I pulled up to the cutest little shop in Wahiawa that looked just like a residential home except the "Pretty In Ink" sign in the window. I came in, equipped with my photography (@BeachVoguePhotography) and met Sissy.
Sissy is this gorgeous gal who just makes you want to become her BFF, cyber stalk her even more, be her and do everything she recommends! She started me off by explaining the process, answering my questions and we jumped in! (Normally a consult should be done beforehand but I'm too impatient and was committed! If I went I would chicken out, I know it!)
Follow Sissy Instagram: @808PrettyInInk or email her: email@example.com
1. Threading. This was my first time ever getting my eyebrows threaded. I am very regular with the waxing of hair, and I can honestly say, comparing wax to thread, thread wins!
2. Numb it. She put this numbing cream on my brows and let it sit for a little while... nothing too exciting here.
3. Draw the perfect brow. Sissy got a little fancy tool and measured each angle to make me look my very best and then outlined the brow. This can be a long process because she wants you to look perfect! For me, it took one try. This girl is an artist and she captured my look purrrr-fectly. When I saw the outline I knew I would earn Instagram credibility immediately post tattoo.
4. Mix the color. Sissy explained that using regular tattoo ink was a HUGE no no because semi-permanent tattoo (make up tattoo) uses expensive ink that does NOT turn green and also only permeates so many layers of skin. This means it will only last 2 - 3 years versus the forever of that tacky wedding date mistake on m-- uh, somebody's back. I chose a nice light brown that matched my platinum hair better than my real eyebrow color.
5. Feel the pain! Or not. I have some beauty super power where I can handle 3 hours of bleaching to get my hair blonde or an hour of facial tattooing to get the perfect brows. There was a point towards the end that I felt slightly uncomfortable due to the numbing cream wearing down but it was never considered 'painful'.
6. Mirror! Oh fuck, I look like a YouTube goddess! The color here is about 30% darker than it would fade to 3 weeks later but holy hell, I looked good. She warned me, no sweating or beauty products on the new tat. I then got a week off from the gym so that was a nice side effect.
7. Week 1 I was a flake! Actually, only two days. I put on my ointment daily (Doterra actually! Here is my friend's link, not mine so I don't make money: http://www.mydoterra.com/kaimananet.) and then days 6-7 the whole thing flaked off. I looked a hot mess and had a speaking engagement but no one seemed too traumatized. Only one person commented so thanks everyone for not being too harsh with it.
8. Weeks 2-4: I was faded! It faded at first when it flaked but then got darker and now it's time for a retouch! Sissy offers a free touch up to make sure you are the most beautiful version of you.
This is DEFINITELY one of the best beautiful investments I've made!
(It's not cheap at $400, but for 3 years of looking perfect, even at the beach, it's worth it).
Next I'll be doing some eyeliner so comment and tell me if you want to know how it goes!